It’s serendipitous that I am writing this post as I am currently experiencing the herx close to a year after my first introduction to a planned Herxheimer’s Reaction. I mention the year not because time is relevant or even exists, but, because, for those of you healing, herxing can drive you into a very dark hole that may swallow you up if you don’t know it may be a recurring part of the healing process, even a year later. It requires patience, can be mitigated and it will pass.
May I present what I am loosely describing as Stage 2. I am attempting humor and non- judgement as I regard these “situations.” Refer to my last post for insight as to this choice of approach and wording.
Stage 2: Insert Cliche Here __________________ like It’s Darkest Before the Dawn. Stage 2, stage 2 you make me want to spew…Okay, not a cliche but applicable.
My diet essentially remained the same, or was suppose to. This may have been the time we took nuts out of my program because I was eating too many as a substitute for my carb addiction.
What I added:
- Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE) by Nutibiotic 250 mg – The reason is unknown (if you know it please share) but GSE kills harmful bacteria without killing beneficial bacteria if you don’t take too much. Thus, it is preferable to antibiotics. I take it with lunch and dinner.
- Sonne’s 7 & 9 – These are to assist in the removal of that which is killed by the GSE as well as to assist in the cleansing and removal of other toxins. AVOID TAKING IT WITHIN 90 MINUTES OF EATING, EITHER BEFORE OR AFTER AS IT WILL STRIP THE NUTRIENTS. 2 x day between meals.
What stayed the same:
- Bronson’s Ascorbic Acid Powder Buffered with Sodium Ascorbate. To clarify a previous error, the pH of 4 is best for absorption by the gut. Any vitamin C will work for the liver. I comfortably built up to 1 tsp with every meal and one before bed.
- Cod Lover Oil – 1 tsp at breakfast and one before bed. I was told this is crucial for supporting my mood. I also know that essential fatty acids support the production of anti-inflammatory prostaglandins. Interestingly, organ meats have not been made part of my diet. I can eat them if I want.
- HCL with every meal. I use Nature’s Life Betaine Hydrochloride with Pepsin 648 mg. The max recommended 8 capsules does not cause me discomfort. I take fewer if it’s a snack. There is no negative feedback loop for HCL so this will not stop the body from producing its own.
- Pancreatin (lipase, amylase, protease) aka digestive enzymes for fat, protein and carbohydrates. When you do not have sufficient HCL in the bolus that leaves your stomach the acid trigger that tells your organs like your pancreas to release enzymes does not work properly.
- Nature’s Way Primadophilus Bifidus – 1 first thing in the morning. 2 before bed. Lactobacilus is for the small intestine and bifodobacterium for the large intestine. Although at this stage, they are still placeholders as my entire system was yeast and there was nowhere for them to implant.
- MORE DARK GREENS and clean protein with every meal.
Essentially, it felt like I had the flu for 3 months. When I was encouraged to call between sessions and said “I want to shoot myself in the head” or “I feel so bad I want to die” – I have since changed the way I view and respond to the symptoms – I was told:
- mix up a tsp of vitamin C in spring water and drink it with a pantothenic acid (I currently use Swanson’s B-5) and magnesium (I had the Calm at the time.) It took the edge off in about 15 min. Sometimes I would repeat this throughout the day. Note: diarrhea can be an indication of too much magnesium and too much vitamin C can upset your stomach. If you are herxing, I highly recommend asking someone well versed in assessing individual biochemistry and using vitamins, minerals and food for healing if this is advisable for you and in what quantities!
I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU HURDLE THE HERX!